Richard Lewis sits down with long time friend and top CSGO commentator OnFireMoses to give you guys the full story. Why NA sucked at the beginning of CSGO, a look into early days of competition, choosing a girlfriend over competing, the grind to become a top tier talent.
- 1:25 - Let's get started - who is OnFireMoses?
- 1:40 - It was back when the M4 had a scope on it
- 4:50 - What did the competitive landscape look like?
- 6:00 - The NA scene at the beginning of CSGO sucked
- 8:50 - The local scenes in NA were much more prevalent
- 9:20 - We packed six guys in a car and spent 4 months on the road "If you don't win this event, you can't afford to go to the next event"
- 10:00 - Give me a list of what you won
- 12:55 - Where did your alias come from? "People always thought I was gay, or a girl. It increases a lot of the shit talk that comes your way"
- 14:55 - Richard "Regret it every god damn day of my life"
- 16:30 - Moses on balance "I got a girlfriend, and that was the hardest... I chose the girlfriend over counter-strike at the time"
- 18:30 - Pay-per-view tournaments
- 19:45 - Moses "I was probably the most outspoken against Source"
- 25:00 - "I remember practicing after being away for so long, and the game changes"
- 27:20 - Richard "The fact that we had to have a third party plugin to make Source work... is crazy"
- 30:10 - Okay 2007, you gave up the girlfriend - CGS was happening, where were you?
- 30:30 - Moses "I harbored the dream of being a Dota 1 pro"
- 35:30 - CyberX games disaster
- 39:30 - "You were sleeping in the back of your car to go to an event"
- 43:30 - Richard developed the "elder statesman" of the community persona
- 48:45 - Moses "My skill wasn't my primary attribute"
- 50:00 - "If I never played, I don't think I would have been successful"
- 53:00 - "I can see the narcissism of being a top player at the time"
- 54:20 - "I think 50k got dropped on new PC parts" by one guy
- 1:01:00 - Why aren't certain talent getting hired "It all comes down to networking - it's not just politics"
- 1:05:00 - "You are judged frequently by your co-commentator"
- 1:06:00 - Richard "It's not being an asshole, it's trying to pull the broadcast out of a slump"
- 1:11:00 - I feel like I didn't hit my stride as a commentator until late 2017
- 1:18:20 - Esports audiences vs sports audiences
- 1:20:00 - "There is an identity crisis in counterstrike right now for what we want our desks to be"
- 1:25:30 - DreamHack wanted to pair Moses & Natu up "This cannot be a good casting pair... I regret this decision"
- 1:31:45 - "The problem with esports production is we just don't have this"
- 1:32:30 - The different esports cliches in the high school lunch room
- 1:33:40 - The best way to highlight the difference between CSGO and Dota 2
- 1:37:20 - Richard "If they were to shut CSGO down, what would you do?"
- 1:38:00 - "I have no desire to stream"
- 1:40:50 - Arena vs Studio level of analytics to match the event
- 1:45:20 - Richard "Last question. What are your proudest moments?"
- 1:49:30 - "What's coming up next for you?"
Follow Richard & Moses:
👉Twitter - https://twitter.com/OnFireMoses
👉Twitter - https://twitter.com/RLewisReports
👉Twitter - https://twitter.com/lolbanelor
👉YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbWG7H6wWY8oVKOCQGZaQ4Q