Conversations, not Crusades - DPC, Nigma, and Riot ft. KeepingitKyle & Nahaz
Take a breather, refresh, and join us on the Rivalry Cooldown, where we give you the current topics in esports from the experts. On this episode, Kyle calls in at 2am from Taipei (from his phone), and even in his robot moments he and Nahaz debate passionately about breaks in the DPC schedule, we discuss the business sense (or lack of) from Team Nigma, why the Trent vs Bulldog debate isn't productive (and is missing the point), check in on Riot's sexual harassment lawsuit and big money deals in China, and of course - more payment issues in esports! *NOTE* Kyle was experiencing a slight audio delay, so there's a bit more interrupting than usual from everyone - we still like and respect each other, we promise. Please LIKE, COMMENT, and SHARE to ensure more people can find and enjoy the show!
Make sure to subscribe to The Rivalry Cooldown wherever you listen to podcasts so you never miss an episode! (Apple, Spotify, Google Play, Stitcher, Podbean etc)
- 0:45 - Kyle joins us from Taipei
- 1:44 - DPC Scheduling, big teams taking breaks
- 2:16 - Kyle 'People respond to incentives'
- 4:20 - Nahaz 'This is not a new problem, this is not a new issue' -Overreacting to issues create other issues that are even worse
- 8:30 - There should have been an extra spot in opens for EU
- 10:30 - The pattern of decision making makes it very obvious that there is no one person whose job it is to manage the DPC
- 15:00 - Does the best team always win? Do teams actually care about format?
- 18:20 - Kyle 'Let's pretend I am a Dota player who has made millions'
- 20:20 - So. Team Nigma. Do we want to talk about that?
- 21:00 - This was a very very very very poor business decision
- 22:50 - Nigma doubled down instead of taking the easy PR move
- 25:15 - I hope it wasn't just for the memes
- 29:10 - Trent / Bulldog - What happened? Is it productive?
- 32:00 - Are the clicks/money worth the branding you build?
- 33:00 - Kyle 'I'm surprised we don't have more manufactured drama?'
- 33:25 - Nahaz 'Nice TED talk Kyle'
- 40:00 - Nahaz - If you don't think we need to be better, I don't know what world you're living in
- 46:10 - Kyle 'We judge ourselves on our intentions and others on their actions'
- 50:00 - You can curate your internet experience and NOT support people pushing negative messages
- 54:00 - Riot got fined $10 million in the sexual harassment class action lawsuit. Will it make a difference?
- 57:00 - Kyle 'Make fines proportional to income. Millionaires aren't speeding when it's a $50K ticket"
- 57:30 - Riot gets $100 million for a streaming deal in China
- 1:02:00 - What is going to make the most money? It's that simple
- 1:10:00 - In China, they are not as... platform dependent as we are with Twitch vs Facebook
- 1:13:20 - Nahaz on payment issues (Starladder, GESC etc)
- 1:21:00 - The people involved in esports got involved because they loved it. When they started, they didn't make any money
- 1:25:00 - Plug your own projects and how people can support our guests/causes our guests believe in!
Follow our Guests on Twitter:
👉 Kyle - https://twitter.com/keepingitKyle
👉 Nahaz - https://twitter.com/NahazDota
Follow our host on Twitter:
👉Reinessa - https://twitter.com/ReinessaGaming